Friday, November 16, 2007

Moses John Wadley

I've always loved the name Moses. I tried to talk Suzi into naming both my boys Moses. I have two Moses ancestors that I've discovered so far. Both on my Dad's side, and both from his mothers side.
Moses Payne 1581-1643. Born in Frittenden Kent England and died in Braintrain Norfolk Massachusetts.
Moses John Wadley was the ancestor that originally gave me the idea of naming one of my boys Moses.
I was looking at the 1860 Franklin Township, Missouri census tonight and I started to look at the dates and tried to imagine what life was like for him with the little bit of information that I had.
He got married in January 1860 to his wife Martha . He was 26, and she was 25. She was pregnant when the census taker came around in August. They were well along into pregnancy with their first baby due in November of 1860. They had a farm there in Franklin. The census taker valued it at 800 dollars, and they had 185 dollars worth of property belonging to their estate. A promising beginning.
Their son Leroy Sterling Wadley was born in November 4th. Moses died on November 15, 1862 at a ripe old age of 28 with one tiny two year old son.
Moses then Leroy then Jessie then Mary then Stephen then Sean then Patrick and Sam and Hannah and Georgia. One short life that has left so much posterity, but I would guess very few know anything about him. It's amazing to me.

No comments: