Thursday, May 18, 2006

School Lock Down

Suzi called me today from the kids school. She said she was under a table in the cafeteria, and that the school was in locked down. She said she had been under the table for 20 minutes at that point, and they had blacked out all of the windows and locked the doors. She said she had no idea what was going on. I was a long way from home at that point.

The Principal had come over the loud speaker at the school with a urgent sounding voice, telling them that it wasn't a drill and to hurry. She gave them all the instructions I mentioned earlier. Suzi told me that a lot of the kids were for the most part nervious, and some emotional.

Gave me a real sense of helplessness. I was miles away, and the whole family was there at the school.

Appearently what had happened was a strange looking fellow was around the school, and when the cops approched him he took off running at the school, and pulled out a gun from his clothing. The cops caught him, and wrestled the gun from him. The police reported that it was a pellet gun. I'm sure they told him "You could put your eye out with one of these." Maybe not an appropriate time for a joke, but it's my blog get your own blog if you don't like it.

Anyhow, I'm very grateful for the way the principal handled the situation and the way the police dept nipped that in the bud. Gave me a lot to think about regarding the childrens safety. I swear Lodi is a nice town.

A thousand things raced through my mind about what could be going on when I got Suzi's original message. Dindn't like most of them.

1 comment:

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

Lodi sucks! Not only is the groundwater contaminated now they have freaks with pelet guns going into the schools. Stay away.