Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Report Cards Are In!



You know I remember dreading report cards. I did not want to know what the fruits of my labors were! No sir! Man that kind of fruit is nasty fruit. That's what is was, and I didn't want it. The only thing report cards meant was that there was the possibility of trouble.

Fortunately for my children they know nothing of that. Not part of their world. I'm sure there is a little anxiety for Patrick, and a little for Sam as well. However, nothing on the scale of what I was taking home.

So I thought I would share their performance with the grandparents who I know read the blog, and include some comments from their teachers, and a story or two about the year. This might be a bit of a read so you might want to go get your Diet caffeine free Dr. Pepper, go to the bathroom, take whatever is on the stove off the stove, and so on.

So here are the Grandkids grades.

Patrick - Who I might add is in the Gifted and Talented Program. His work is a bit more rigorous than the standard 5th grader.



  • Attendance- 1 absence. Due to a trip that dad took him to go see the BYU vs Utah football game in Utah. Which Utah won I might add. Go Utes.
  • Language Arts A- (Reading and Writing)
  • Social Science A
  • Physical Education A
  • Mathematics A-
  • Science A
  • Music A
  • Visual and Performing Arts A
  • accelerated Reader Program A

Teachers Comments: "I thoroughly enjoyed having Patrick as a student in my fifth grade class this year. I found his quick wit amusing! I've witnessed much growth in Patricks's efforts to do quality work from August to May. Keep up your efforts Patrick! Enjoy your summer vacation!

Dad's Comment: Why is it that his teachers finds his quick wit amusing. My quick wit was called "mouthing off", and got my butt kicked out of class. I know this piticlar blog isn't about me, however this memory struck me and I need to write it down. I remember in 5th grade Mr. Price was yelling at the class because his key to the back room cabinets had been stolen by someone in the class. I sat in the back of the class, and wasn't listening to his rant. Probably not the best place for me to be sitting, but it was easier to not pay attention from there I found. Anyhow, I said something funny to my buddy Ron that made him laugh out loud. Mr. Price looks at us both, marches to the back of the class and grabs us by the collars and drags us around the corner from all the classrooms. It suddenly strikes me as I'm being dragged that he thinks we stole the key. He tosses us up againts the wall leans down into each of our faces taking turns yelling at us. "What did you do with the key!" A little harder to ignore him at this point. He must of yelled at us for 10 minutes. I thought his dag gone head was going to pop off! He had red curly hair, and his face was red as could be. Man he was scary. Fortunately I had nothing to do with the key. I just have bad timing I guess as a comedian. I guess you earn the right to mouth off in class. Nobody told me. Somebody told me I would have been a striaght A student, honest.

I've seen Patrick get people laughing at times that would have gotten me killed. Apparently his teacher really likes him, and often talked about how funny she thought he was to other parents who we know as well. He really had a fantastic year. He improved every grade or maintained it throughout the year. He had hours of homework everynight, and what seemed like a thousand "projects". He got his work done, even with his scouting, soccer, and all-star soccer. I included a picture of Patrick singing with another boy in his music class at one of their performances. Patricks award ceremony is tomorrow, and it's likely he'll win some of the awards that Hannah and Sam won. I might up date those tomorrow.

Sam- who is in the Gifted and talented program as well.

  • Attendance- 1 absence for the same reason as Patrick. Again might I remind you that Utah beat BYU this year. The 4th time in a row. Go Utes.
  • Language Arts O (O= Outstanding Achievement)
  • Reading O
  • Writing O
  • Social Science O
  • Mathematics O
  • Science O
  • Physical Education O
  • Music O
  • Visual and Performing Arts O
  • Cursive O
  • Spelling O

Sam's teachers comments were lame. She talked about his Standard achievement testing scores the whole time. We get a paper that shows all that information and explains it so I have no idea why she spent all of her space talking about those.

Dad's Comments- Sam's work ethic regarding his education is top notch. He dutiful sits down and gets his work done without being asked everyday. Sam was awarded by his teachers today in the awards ceremony with PE excellence, excellence in Music, he was one of three in his class to have Mastered all of his multiplication facts, and was awarded with a certificated for the life skill of Initiative-"To do something of one's own free will, because it needs to be done". Sam works hard, and that is why he does well. It's really a simple recipe for him, and it works for him. I don't know if he understands, or makes the connection between his hard work and his success. Doesn't really matter because he gets it done. I couldn't be more proud of Sam. He inspires me everyday I'm out working.

Hannah Shea-

  • Attendance Perfect! She did not go to the game where Utah beat BYU
  • Language Arts O
  • Reading O
  • Writing O
  • Social Science O
  • Mathematics O
  • Science O
  • Physical Education O
  • Music O
  • Visual and Performing Arts O

Teachers Comments- Hannah, you have had a great year. You should be proud of yourself.

Dad's Comments- Not a real wordy comment from the teacher, however let me share with you a couple of stories the teacher has shared with us. Actually let me share with you her awards, then the stories. Hannah was awarded the certificate award that Hannah has the life skill of Courage. There are some great stories that award. Perfect attendance award (that means no tardies, no missed days), excellence in Music, and PE Excellence. Hannah is a performer when it comes to school. The older boys have nothing on her.

Today at the award ceremony when Hannah was awarded the life skill of courage her teacher began to cry as she explained that this little girl was everyone's friend, and not only did she always make sure that all were included, she went out of her way to make sure all were included. Even when it wasn't comfortable to do so.

About 2 weeks ago Hannah was playing with some pals, and another girl who was kind of an outsider of the group asked if she could play too, whatever the game was. (Outsider in a couple senses- not playing the game, not part of this group of friends, different ethnicity than the group, and a couple of other ways I'm sure I don't know about) One of the little outspoken girls told the outsider "No, our game is full. We don't need anymore people." According to the teacher there was a little venom behind he statement and the way she said it. I can almost hear it in my head "No, our game is full. We don't need anymore people" the way a little girl would say it. Hannah at that point told the outside girl that there was room, and that of course she could play. Then went after her friend the girl who objected. She told her that there was always room for one more, and that she was being mean. It's easy too see how the other girls went along with the girl who objected. I know the little girl, she played soccer for me. She is a cute, assertive, outspoken, tough little girl. I like her. However, like a lot of little girls she can be mean. I'm sure a lot of her little friends would be afraid to cross her will. Hannah's not afraid of her, Hannah is not mean, and apprently she doesn't put up with others being mean. Imagine being that little outside girl, and having a friend like Hannah.

Earlier in the year the teacher conducted a little experiment to show the class what discrimnation is. She didn't tell the class what she was doing. She said all the blond children got a reward of some sort that the brown headed kids didn't get, and began separating the class. You could see how all of the blond children might be ok with this idea. Not Hannah, before the teacher could make her point Hannah objected. "This is rude. No, this rude! Teacher this is not right, it's rude!" I can see her squinting her eyes, and saying it over and over. I love how she uses the word rude too. Anyhow, Thwarting the teacher lesson. Even though it benefited Hannah, she saw the inequity in the situation, and what's most important, and a lesson to us all, she said something about it. So many of this world's greatest injustices could have been avoided if more of that courage excisted in us all. I'm unable to express how proud of Hannah I am. She truly is a leader, and probably the kindest person in the house. Think about how hard it must of been for Hannah to say something to the teacher. That is what a leader is. Nobody else was saying anything. When I'm old I'm living at her house. There is no way she's sending me to the old people home. "It's too rude. It's not right."

You know what thought drives me mad. Thinking about how great my girls are, and that some fortunate suckers are going to end up marrying them. You better believe I'm going to have a big say in who my daughters marry. Laugh all you'd like fuzz ball. No boy is going to be good enough are they. I feel for him, I'm going to be a big ol' pain in the arse. Anyhow, Hannah is going into second grade, and Georgia her second year of preschool, I guess there is no reason to stress yet.

Georgia-

  • Preschool Super dee duper!
  • Art Da Vinci like.
  • Attendance Perfect, I think
  • Letters Are you kidding, she can write her name!
  • Numbers Listen to her count! If you have time.
  • Creativity Benjamin Franklin would be jealous.
  • Friendliness Loves Kids. Adults, she likes who she likes. Hope your on the list.
  • Smartness Very!

Teachers Comments- Actually they don't have report cards in preschool. Seems a shame. Imagine "D- in finger painting little Ralphie? What are you doing wrong? Which finger are you using?" (sorry that's my 5th grade humor. Patrick is going to think that's hilarious) Georgia loved school, LOVED IT! It was fun to see. She would get out of bed on school days, and ask what day of the week it was (school Tuesday & Thursday-dance Friday). If it was a school day I would get a arm pump with a fist, with a "Yessssss". Our little Napoleon. On open house day she pulled me around her class by my finger showing me all her work, and introducing me to all her pals. She was so proud, she would ask me to take her to class often. Just so proud of her school. She wants to be a big girl too! It was fun to walk around the big kids school with Georgia. She spends a lot of time there with Mom, and is extremely popular with the kids in Patrick, Sam, and Hannah's classes. So when I walk around their school everyone says hi to her, and she just loves it.

So the way I see this is Suzi got a 4.0 across four kids. Pretty dang good. Suzi deserves a whole bunch of credit, and is a strong testimony for stay at home mom's who get involved in their children's education. She spends a ton of time at the school in their classes. I don't imagine we will ever have a semester like this one again. Never have before. I certainly hope so, but this is the 72-3 blow out win that may never happen again. Life is good when your kids are in 5th, 3rd, 1st, and preschool. However now they are in 6th, 4th, 2nd, and Georgia is going to spend one more year in preschool. As we say in sales, your only as good as your last month. Don't worry we'll think of a way to pat them on the back.

1 comment:

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

That has GOT to be the longest post ever in Blogville. Geez!