Thursday, February 01, 2007

Carpool Lanes

As I sat in traffic today I was looking at my Garmin which told me I should be home in 25 minutes. I arrived home 45 minutes later.

While sitting there I watched the empty carpool lane (filled only with CHP motorcycle cops) it reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend (Jamie Chavez Juanitas Hernandez Gull) regarding the unintended effects of carpool lanes:
  • They cause congestion
  • Congestion causes pollution (Pollution I hear causes all kinds of problems)
  • Congestion causes accidents
  • Congestion causes frustration
  • Frustration promotes illegal activity (driving in the carpool lane without a passenger)
  • Illegal activity increases ticket revenue.

Imagine if the carpool lane was eliminated. That 25 minute drive in congestion with out the carpool lane instead of taking 45 minutes, it might take 35 to 40 minutes. Think about all those cars in the Sacramento, or California, or all the major metro areas, all those engines shut off 5-10 minutes sooner 5 days a week 52 weeks a year. It would eliminate a lot of pollution, a lot of accidents, and a lot of revenue.

However, we will hold on to this horrible idea at the expense of that which it was intended to protect.

No comments: