Sunday, December 16, 2007

Interesting Times

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
It has been interesting over the last couple of weeks to see the word "Mormon" in the news as often as it has been with Mitt Romney running for President. I'm probably much more aware of it, being a Latter Day Saint, than the average Joe. I kind of scan for it when I open CNN.com to see what's being said today.

Much of what is often stated is often inflammatory and intentionally incorrect, but it doesn't bother me like those comments use to when I was younger. Makes my blood boil for a few minutes, but I calm myself reading something else.

I look at those comments and think "why in the world are those allowed to be in print?" I think the reason most people don't come to the defense of "Mormons" in those situations is because they aren't really sure if "Mormons" believe what was just stated. Pat Buchanan sure did a good job when Lawrence O'Donnell went on his crazy rant.

I haven't seen this type of fever since I was a missionary. At least a couple times a month someone would go out of their way to verbally let us have it. Once I took the name tag off, it stopped happening. Interesting.

Politically speaking it's funny how most Latter Day Saints are so beholden to the Republican Party, but nationally that party isn't so beholden to "Mormons." At least that's what it seems to me.

On the flip side, I remember when those "would you vote for a Mormon" polls first came out, and the group with the most reservations were those who fit in the "liberal" category. Being a Democrat Mormon has worked out well for Harry Reid. Anyhow, whatcha gonna do? Why not independent is what I often wonder.

With that being said I love living in California where their are plenty of Latter Day Saints, and plenty that aren't. Not to mention they weathers pretty nice.

No comments: