Friday, December 19, 2008

You got what!?

So let me try to paint this picture for you so you can enjoy this, or not enjoy this as much as possible. 

I came home from work, and sat down at the kitchen table where everyone hangs around from the moment they get home, until we eat dinner. It's always noisy with the six of us doing six different things, and all of us trying to talk over the top of one and other. 

The kids and I were sitting/ standing around the table when Suz came into the room and announced "I got the kids grades today." And I responded "oh, good. How did they all do?Everything turn out well?" Suzi does a great job with the kids, they all are brilliant kids, and they all get fantastic grades. 

Suzi say's "yeah, everyone did well." Here's where sometimes it's a little funny to be a member of our family. We tend to talk about everything in front of everybody. Accidentally, we know better, but we do. Suzi continues with kind of a tone of suspect, squinted eyes looking at Hannah, "yeah, everyone did great. However, Hannah got a 2 on "shows respect for others" and a 2 on "using time wisely." 

Two things: First 2 is a baaadd grade on a scale of 1-4. Not good. Second Hannah is beloved by every teacher she's every had, and kind to every living creature. There are times where we are reminded she is human, but generally she's truly an angelic girl. She inspires me. Teachers always comment on how kind she is to everyone. If you can't get along with Hannah, and she's run out of patience with you....... well, my experience has been....... well... you must be a....... let me stop myself and take a page from Hannah's book and just say again that Hannah is just, very nice. 

That is what make me so sad about how the rest of this story plays out. 

So I snap around (possibly a little tired from the day), and say "You got a what!? Are you kidding me Hannah? Is this something new this year? Are you and you're friends trying on some kind of new attitude? A 2? What the heck is that all about?"  I wasn't loud, I wasn't attacking. Well maybe a re-reading that line of questioning, one after another. I guess that can come across as a little attacking. I was baffled, and in my tone probably sounded a bit disappointed. 
(Oh geez , just remembering how this all played out is making me sick to my stomach.) 

Hannah responds, "I don't know?" In a bit of a sheepish tone, with a little disbelief. However, to me, where I'm sitting I'm thinking, how do you get a 2 and not know what's up? And the answer "I don't know" rarely  is a satisfactory answer for a parent. It just isn't an answer that we dig, right? However, in this case, it probably was the right answer. I just didn't like it. 

So I say something along the line of "we need to get this figured out. I need to talk to your teacher, little sister." She's got a little look of being beat down, rightfully so. 

THEN SUZI SAYS........ "well... it could be a typo." Silence..... 

We get a call later that night from a friend who is teacher at the school, who has a daughter in the class, and good friends with Hannah, and said "Hey did Hannah get some 2's?" And Suz said "Ohhhh yeah, I'm talking to Ms. Daniels tomorrow." And the friend responded "Those are typo's, I already talked to the teacher."

Ugh.... Oh so many lessons for me in there. Don't know where to begin. 

1 comment:

Josh said...

How many kids wished they have tried that excuse or they wish it was true. How ironic, poor Hannah. Kids that get straight A's never wish for that problem no room for improvement.