Sunday, June 17, 2007

An Old Play Gound Toy (Cont.)

We would load up on rocks at the edge of the bridge. We would fill up our shirts with rocks. Once we would get out to the middle my friend Brian and I would sit down on the steel grate and drop rocks off the edge. We would usually pick a target below in the river and aim for it. First one to hit it would have bragging rights for the long walk home. In the beginning it would take loads of rocks to hit the target. As we became better bombardiers we could strike the target more often. It was a long way up. The distance to the ground is about 4 seconds.



















Just those two wires to keep you on the bridge.
I like this picture. It has a dizzying feel to it. See that rock sticking out of the river near the top of the picture in the sun. We all aimed for that rock, and nobody hit it.
I was surprised that none of the kids were afraid to walk out to the middle. When I brought Suzi out here when we were dating she came no where close to the middle and it took a half hour to get her as far as I did.

When I was a teenager I use to run across this bridge everyday to go work at my grandpa Jim's door shop. I would get home at 4, run for about a half hour, and work until he closed at 5. The faster I got there the sooner I could clock in, however looking back it I could probably only shave off a couple of minutes off my run by sprinting as fast as I did. If I had really thought about the fact that he was only paying me $2 and hour I might not have ran as hard as I did.
Grandma paid much better.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: