Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Deep thoughts of Jimi and Sean

When my brother Jimi and I were young I remember we loved to talk in bed for hours in the summer. We talked about everything, everything, and everything. Our conversations at times were funny, sometimes heated, and at times what we thought "deep."

I remember Dad coming down stairs and telling us to shut it. I'm sure he used a more friendly phrase.....the first time anyhow. If he had to make more than one trip down stairs I would suppose it would include some heat.

Jimi turned me on to the Beach Boys. We loved them, and we talked about the lyrics of their songs. We loved them because they sang about the girls, cars, and the beach. In our opinion what else was there to sing about? He would really love to talk about the meaning of songs, me....not so much. I can't tell you much more than the chorus of most songs. Even the ones I love. I'm the guy who sings everything wrong, and the chorus over and over. If I don't know the lyrics, it's going to make for a short discussion about the meaning of the songs. After Jimi and I started talking about the meaning of songs, I started reading the lyrics if they came with the album.

Well the Beach Boys albums we had didn't have the lyrics published that I remember. I remember one night that we talked about the song "little deuce coup." It was way cool. However there was a lyric we couldn't understand. The correct lyric reads "and she purrs like a kitten till the lake pipes roar." What the crap did that mean? I couldn't hear "lake pipes roar." I didn't know what they were saying, and Jimi didn't either. It kept us up man. Late. Still don't know what "lake pipes" are but I sleep fine anyhow. Thanks to the Internet I looked up the lyrics yesterday because I remembered that conversation. Seems trivial to you but that memory is 22 years old! Strange that I would even remember it.

The Beach Boys, awesome. The kicker is that the next summer Jimi and I were together he had moved on. The Beach Boys were for babies. Now he was a Beatles fan. Apparently they were much more sophisticated. Well, that lead to a summer of arguments while we laid there waiting to fall asleep. I'm certain Dad came downstairs more often that summer to tell us to cork it while we were arguing about who was cooler or smarter Mike Love, or John Lennon. Too Funny. Rock on Jimi!

1 comment:

Zach said...

How can you have 20+ years of curiosity about "Lake Pipes" when there's a great resource called wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_pipe

Enjoy.