Tuesday, January 30, 2007

One of these things is not like the others

School uniforms.
When we first moved to Lodi I hated the idea. After a while it grew on me, and I now like the idea. The other day Patrick was headed to school, and he wasn't in uniform. So I asked him what was up, and he told me that 2nd semester 6th graders no longer have to wear uniforms. In Jr. High, and High school the kids don't wear uniforms. So I guess during the end of elementary school they begin the transition to "regular clothes".
OK that makes no sense to me. Have you seen high schoolers? If anyone needs help dressing themselves it's not elementary school children. It's Jr. High, and Highschoolers.
Here are some of the reasons given to me that school uniforms are to help address:
  • Scholastic Performance
  • School Morale
  • Reduced Cost to Parents
  • Helps eliminates many dress code issues
  • Improved self image for student

Well it seems to me that if those things are important for elementary school students they would be just as important, and in some cases much more important for Jr. High, and High school students.

That being said, Patrick states that he doesn't care one way or the other. But it's interesting to me that he chooses not to wear the uniform now that he doesn't have to wear it.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

Jake and Olivia have uniforms for the charter school that they go to. I really like it. Jake dresses SO much better. On Mondays and whenever they have field trips they always have to be in performance dress (white button down shirts and navy blue pants). The only downside of uniforms is that we tend to go through more laundry each week.