Friday, September 26, 2008

Shamrock Soccer

My last year to officially coach Patrick's soccer. From here on out it's high school ball if he continues to play. The end of an era, we've had a great run together.

Makes me kind of sad when I think back to tiny tot soccer when Puff was just a tiny little 5 year old guy. Then up to Layton for four years, and I've coached his team a couple of times here in Lodi. I've coached the other Kelly kids too, and I'll get to continue doing that with them, but for Puff and I this is our last big year together.

Time fly's by so fast. There is no second chance to play with my little ones, to get involved in their life and do these things that are so fun and so worth my time. If it were an investment, (and it is) I'm certain it will pay big rewards through the teen years and into adulthood and hopefully my grandchildren will reap the benefits as well. Not to mention it's fun to play with them!

So Patrick, and I have had a good time together. Sometimes, a not so good time together. I'm certainly not always the nicest coach a 12-13-14 boy can have. Just ask him, somebody talks while I'm talking, kicks a ball and hits someone, screws around and it bugs me, they all go for a run. Every single time. They run a lot! It's the only way to control the madness. That's one my favorite things to be honest. "Hit the fence." I ask nicely when someone is goofing off. "COACH WHY?!" As they run away. "Hurry or you'll all run 2, ______ was goofing around. Talk to him about it." Then I thank them as they come back to the huddle quite, and tired. Works beautifully. I'll learned to never try and talk over boys. They are much louder. Anyhow....

Good fun, and good coaching that always translates to wins, and right now the "Shamrocks" have 6 wins, 1 tie, and 1 loss. The loss, and the tie went to the same team. We'll get them next game, and in the playoffs. That I'm certain!

Shooting for the championship for Patrick's last year. Regardless of our wins and losses through the years (and he has been extremely fortunate that he's had very, very, very few losses) every moment with him is time spent perfectly.

2 comments:

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

You're a great dad!

Lydia said...

Sound like you have some great memories with Patrick.