Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Weight Loss

Diet is such an interesting topic to me as of the last couple years. I've been learning a little bit here and there slowly.

I've seen a lot of success with individuals using low carb diets, ie. South Beach, Atkins to lose a significant amount of weight. I've seen a bit about the Mediterranean diet, which has a pretty high amount of calories from fat, lately as well.

However, there is concern about the long term effects of diets like these. I think that is due to the fact that they are so different than what we were taught growing up what a diet should look like. We are so afraid of diets that are high fat diets. This is a very interesting article that adds a bit of evidence that these high fat diets maybe aren't as dangerous as maybe what we thought they were.

I personally feel the big secret to diet actually is activity. That can fix a lot of things, but I wouldn't ever recommend one diet over another. I know what works for me, and I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do long term. That's my personal discovery.

I really enjoy this website as well. Read stuff from it almost every day.

http://www.theheart.org/article/882281.do

2 comments:

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

I used to be fat. Just check out my blog at the very beginning (2004). I knew that I had to change. I've always been active. Even back then I was playing hockey and basketball just about every week. My secret? You have to exercise EVERY day. Well, almost every day and the exercise must be real. If you want to lose weight you'll need to exercise at least an hour every day. Next, you need to change the way you eat. Cut out all of the junk food. Remember growing up how we were taught the food pyramid? You should be eating lots of fruits and vegetables. Grains are good and also appropriate amounts of proteins. If I remember correctly, we were also taught that you had to have X amount of fat each day as well. The problem is today we eat too much fast food and processed food. Stick to the basics and get in real heart pumping, heavy breathing exercise and you'll lose the pounds. At least that is what works for me.

Maria said...

I don't believe or agree with fad diets. Restricting certain foods, etc. is not the way to go because most people eventually give in. You have to be realistic. My philosophy is eat less and move more! Shop on the outer edges of the grocery store or even better, eat from your garden or local farmer's market! Stay away from pre-packaged foods, frozen dinners, regular soda, etc. Of course indulge every once in awhile! You have to live life! And don't forget the physical activity aspect. Choose something you enjoy so you will do it! Make it a priority in your day. Your body will thank you!! Ok, I am done now, But great job Sean. You look fantastic!