Saturday, April 26, 2008

It's Official.....

I've been working on changing the way I live. The motivation came from a scare I got from the doctor last year. I was afraid that there was something seriously wrong with me. I was so afraid that I didn't want to go see the doctor and see what might be wrong. Seems nuts for a guy who spends his time in doctors offices day in and day out. But my own mortality had hit me probably for the first time in my life. I don't know how to convey that reality except to say at 38 I finally realized anything could happen to me, and I wasn't helping my own cause.  

Finally I went to go see my doctor, and we did a TON of tests. Blood, sonograms, MRI, colonoscopy, and poked and poked. After a close investigation the doctor did find a couple of things, but nothing scary like cancer or a tumor. The problems he did find should be helped with a life style change. 

At that time I made a decision that I was done with living the way I was living in terms of the food I eat, and the low commitment to excise that I had. 

I set some goals, and created a vision of who I want to be. That vision has evolved a bit on the go as I learn more about myself, and will probably continue to evolve as I age. Every day for the last eight months my vision of who I am going to be has motivated me to get my butt out of bed, and guided my decisions about what I eat. 

Why I tell you this is because, the great part is that it's not hard at all. I have loved it. There is no hardship because I believe in something bigger for myself. I am headed someplace great, and I know I am going to get there. I am giving myself a much better life, and hopefully a much more enjoyable future.  I have a clear and compelling vision of who I'm going to be (this time) and that has made all of the difference. Without that vision I know nothing would have changed. 

FYI my lifestyle (I'm not on a diet) does not include running marathons, or never eating things I enjoy. It's about doing the right things for myself when I know I should, and enjoying that. Still have a ways to go, but I'm loving every step.  


4 comments:

Jennie said...

That is awesome! I am so happy for you and your desire to be healthy. We are making similar life style changes at our house. Ryan is doing great. He has already lost over 35 lbs and is still going strong. Too bad we don't live closer... you two would have some killer b-ball games with your new, energized bodies.

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

Good for you! And Way To Go Jazz! Great win tonight! Now, you just need to share exactly how your ARE changing? What are you eating MORE of and LESS of. How exactly are you habits changed? What kind of exercises ARE you doing? Looking forward to your posts.

Josh said...

Sean, you look great! We loved seeing you this weekend. Don't change to much, you are one of the best men I know. So you only have permission to change in regards to eating and exercise. Love Ya!

Maria said...

Sean, you are awesome! You look great. Keep it up! We had fun seeing you guys...thanks for everything!