Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm not much help

If x is= -2       (^= power of)

-2x^2+4x+3=

I'm not the best at math, but I can be helpful at times.

Patrick did that problem in his head faster than I wrote it out. When something does goes wrong for him, I write out the problem and start working it and he spots the problem he made and corrects it. So in those situations I can be a little helpful.  I just don't get how he keeps track of things in his head. 

The answer is? 
(FYI-Patrick had it in about 5 seconds.) 

6 comments:

Zach said...

-13?

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

maybe you should go back to school.

Josh said...

The answer is -13. Not positive but pretty sure I just did it in my head also. I'm sure Patrick did it much faster though. Good Job Patrick! This problem is to teach the order of operations and that is where most people error. Exponents are done first unless there are parentheses then what ever is in the parentheses is done first, then comes multiplication and division then addition and subtraction. Order of operations is where most people error through their whole math career, it's good that Patrick has a good handle on it. Keep it up Patrick.

Anonymous said...

I got - 13, but i cheated and did it on a paper.

Candace said...

I may be crazy but I think it's 11. Maybe I do it in the wrong order or something, but tell me, really, what is the answer?

Candace said...

Okay I was totally wrong, it is -13.

:)