Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Early Morning Race For Hot Water

Oh, I remember the days when Patrick really didn't care if he showered. So nice, lots of hot water everyday. No so anymore. I'm sure this is one of those payback things my mom was always talking about when I was a kids. "I hope your kids are going to do this to you!" Well they are and will be for years to come mom. There's no going back now. Hopefully techonolgy will fix this problem. You know, like microwave water heaters.

Anyhow, Patrick is up at 6am taking his early morning power shower. Does his hair until 6:45, gets the news paper, makes himself some hot chocolate, reads the paper, while mom makes him something good, and out the door at 6:55.

Other kids get out of bed at 7am for the next wave of hot water thievery.

3 comments:

Zach said...

you ought to look into the tankless water heater... I totally want one. www.foreverhotwater.com

And no, I'm not on commission for them. :)

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

The "thievery" is just beginning. Sorry.

Josh said...

Sean,
You probably did want anyone's oppinion, and you were probably just telling the story. I was interested in the tankless thing Zach told you about so I looked into it a little bit. It is pretty interesting.
I looked and this tankless water system Zach reffered you to and they look really neat. I would like to see one in use. I would also like to know how it performs if you are using multiple sources of water at the same time. It looks like they are about $1600. I looked at a water heater similar to my Mom's, which is a 75 gallon tank and they never run out and people can shower at the same time in both bathrooms. I don't know what theirs is but this is what I found it is a Kenmore Power Miser 9, 80 gallon Electric Water Heater32786, they have a gas version which is even more efficient. It is $479 It is also a quick recovery water heater so it heats up pretty fast.


http://shopping.superpages.com/?SRC=&C=Kenmore+Power+Miser+9%2C+80+gallon+Electric+Water+Heater+32786&PS=20&search=Find+It

So prove the parents wrong at least with a warm shower.
One other idea is that you could turn the hot water off at the tank when you go to bed then turn it back on when you wake up after Patrick has showered. So he gets the cold shower and you get the warm one! I learned this from Veto!