Monday, September 24, 2007

Bite My Tongue

Saturday Patrick and I were rolling the motorbikes off the trailer and into the garage. Clearing the trailer for a project. Patrick, Hannah, and Georgia were all there.

I was rolling one bike backwards down the trailer ramp sitting on the bike. The problem with moving backwards is that there are no eyes on the back of our heads. We can't see what's behind us, and it's not a very safe way to move. That's why movement backwards is not as easy as moving forward. The whole natural selection thing.

Anyhow, I was rolling a motorbike off the ramp backwards sitting on the bike with my feet dragging on the ground behind the pegs on the bike. In front of the pegs would have been a smarter option. So the back of my left leg hit ran into Patrick's bicycle, which was sitting at the bottom of the ramp on the ground. Which wasn't a big deal except that the bicycle didn't move when the peg on the motorcycle met the front of the of my left leg and the weight of the motorbike rolling backwards down the ramp smashed into my shin. The motor bike came to a halt. I pushed it up an inch pulled my leg out from in between the bike and the motorbike.

And finished rolling the bike off the trailer. When the bike met my shin I yelled loud. No profanity, but it was a sound that told all the kids that Dad certainly hurt himself. I bent over waiting for the pain to go away, but it wouldn't stop. So I continued mumbling sounds that still told everyone that I was still hurting.

Right after the first yell, Patrick asked "Dad what did you do?" I didn't answer. Hannah stood there looking with her hands on her face. Georgia was skipping in a nervous circle with a grimace on her face, Patrick asks again "Dad what did you do?" I'm still waiting to for a comfortable point to inhale. For some reason shin pain lingers way too long. This was a pain way down deep in my bones. Makes my toes curl thinking about it again. Hannah still looking, Georgia still skipping in a nervous circles, Patrick asks again, "what did you do?" Hannah still looking, Georgia skipping and Patrick "what did you do?" This was probably the first time I actually understood the words coming out of his mouth. The first couple times, I was in Hulk rage, and didn't hear much. But the third, or fourth, or fifth I don't know maybe the twentieth time he asked I recognized that he had asked me the same question multiple times. I mumbled back, "Patrick....give....me....oooooo.....a....second....it...still....hurts." Patrick said "oh, okay, yeah, ouch, mmmm, yeah, what did you do?"

That was the moment I had to make a decision, "am I going to kill the boy?" Somehow reason entered my mind, and said "no that would be bad, just....wait...one....more...second." I did wait one more second, and finally the pain subsided to a point where I could think some what clearly. I finally answered Patrick's question, Hannah continued to hold her face, and Georgia took off saying "I don't want to hear about it." She really has sympathetic pain for me. Love her.

Patrick responded with something like "that wasn't very smart." Good thing I didn't explain how it happened any sooner, if he had said that to me while I was in Hulk rage no telling what could have happened. Love that boy.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Great Stuff Sean! I was laughing out loud at work. I hope your shin feels better. I think you should have strangled the boy! When ever I read these stories I can picture all of the kids so perfectly. I love it. Like always I miss you guys and wish I could have been there to piss you off a little more with a stupid question. Love ya.

Ryan said...

Dude, that is so funny... Not the hurting you shin part, but Patrick's, "that wasn't very smart." Remember the time that kid took a jump on his BMX bike off your 7 foot pile of dirt? Now, that deserving of a "not very smart" comment. We sure miss you guys. I love that we can keep up with you guys through our blogs.