Friday, March 31, 2006

Traffic light cameras are all about money.

That's what I thought when I saw newly placed traffic light cameras in Stockton. Just the sight of them makes my blood boil. My first thought was money. The city put them up because they create income, and they get to justify the placement of them because they increase safety.

I found out I was all wrong on the subject! A month later I received my Popular Mechanics magazine, and it had an article that spoke on this very topic. The article made clear a few points:
  1. The cameras are about creating income for the city.
  2. They do not decrease the amount of accidents occurring, they increase the amount!
  3. They do not decrease the amount of injuries occurring, they increase the amount!
  4. There are methods that work to decrease the amount of accidents, injuries, and red light violations happening in intersections, however they do not create revenue for the city.

See the attached link:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/specials/features/2420766.html?page=1&c=y

1 comment:

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

we were actually talking about this today at lunch. apparently somewhere in Ohio or somewhere they have one and the court has ruled it illegal.